Urtica ferox

Toggle more/fewer photos

Species

Urtica ferox

Etymology

Urtica: from the Latin verb urere which means "to burn"
ferox: From the Latin ferox 'fierce', usually referring to very spiny plants

Common Name(s)

Ongaonga, tree nettle

Current Threat Status

2012 - Not Threatened

Previous Threat Status

2009 - Not Threatened
2004 - Not Threatened

Authority

Urtica ferox G.Forst.

Family

Urticaceae

Brief Description

Jagged-leaved, stinging, large shrub to 3 m tall, sometimes forming extensive thickets, bearing pairs of thin sharply toothed pointed leaves on long stems. Young parts covered in white needles that inject a painful toxin. Flowers and fruit tiny, in short spikes at base of leaves.

Flora Category

Vascular - Native

Distribution

Endemic. Found throughout NZ in North and South Islands reaching Otago as its southern limit.

Habitat

Common in the fringes of bushland. Mainly found in coastal and lowland forest margins and shrublands.

Features

The shrub stands up to 2 m tall with a base up to 12 cm diameter. Its leaves are pale green, 8-12 x 3-5 cm that are borne on petioles up to 5 cm long.

Similar Taxa

None, although other indigenous Urtica species may be confused with U. ferox when it is a juvenile.

Flowering

November - March

Main Flower Colour

Green

Other Flower Colour

Green

Fruiting

December - May

Threats

Not Threatened

Chromosome No.

2n = 48

Endemic Taxon

Yes

Endemic Genus

No

Endemic Family

No

Poisonous plant

The tree nettle is one of New Zealand's most poisonous native plants. Standing about two metres tall, its coarsely toothed leaves have numerous white stinging hairs (trichomes), up to 6 mm long, at the tip of each tooth as well as on young stalks and leaf veins. These are hollow cylinders with tapered points, which break after piercing the skin, injecting toxins into the tissues, giving rise to pain and a rash. There have been cases of dogs and horses developing neurological problems, with respiratory distress and convulsions within minutes of exposure, often dying within hours, although some do recover. There are also reports of human poisoning in botanical references or the press. Connor, in his book, 'The Poisonous Plants in New Zealand', mentions a group of trampers who developed loss of coordination for three days after being stung. In another instance, a typist developed tingling numbness in the hand after grasping a nettle bush, preventing her from typing for five days. There are also reports of severe headaches, blurred vision and extreme fatigue. A fatal poisoning was described in 1961, when a young man died of paralysis and respiratory problems several hours after walking through a patch of tree nettles. Click on this link for more information about Poisonous native plants.

   

This page last updated on 30 Jul 2017

Search Flora

Member Login

Username: Password:

FAQs | Contact us | Desktop version